I thought these pencil cookies from Pillsbury would be a fun back-to-school treat for the kids going back to school. The steps are fairly simple and the recipe uses a pre-made sugar cookie dough that you add some spices to. Then you just press it in a pan and bake it and when finished cooking, cut it into pencil shapes. Then you dip the tip of the cookie into melted chocolate chips for the “lead”. Yellow frosting colors the “pencils” and edible glitter stands in for the metal on a standard pencil. Making the eraser is easy using strawberry fruit roll ups!
1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookies
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup vanilla creamy ready-to-spread frosting (from 1-lb container)
10 drops yellow food color
2 rolls strawberry chewy fruit snack (from 5-oz box)
Edible glitter, if desired
2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/8 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 13×9-inch pan with foil. In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Stir or knead in cinnamon and nutmeg until well blended. Press dough evenly in bottom of pan.
2. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Remove cookie from pan by lifting foil; remove foil.
3. Trim 1/2 inch from each short side of cookie. Cut cookie in half lengthwise. Cut each long strip into 3/4-inch-wide strips. From one end of each strip, cut off corners to form “pencil point.” Discard corner pieces. Place “pencils,” bottom side up, 1/2 inch apart on cooling rack over sheet of waxed paper.
4. In small microwavable bowl, mix frosting and food color until well blended. Microwave on High 30 to 40 seconds or until frosting is melted and can be stirred smooth. Spoon frosting over “pencils,” leaving “points” unfrosted and allowing frosting to drip down sides. If desired, smooth sides with knife.
5. Cut fruit snack rolls into 26 (1 1/2-inch) strips. Save any remaining fruit snack for a later use. At end of each “pencil,” place 1 strip on top and down sides of “pencil” to form “eraser.” Sprinkle glitter below “eraser” to resemble “metal band.” Cool until frosting is set, at least 30 minutes.
6. In another small microwavable bowl, place chocolate chips and oil. Microwave on High 45 to 60 seconds or until chocolate can be stirred smooth. Dip “pencil points” in melted chocolate to resemble “lead.” Cool until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.