This cereal cake from Betty Crocker uses the typical Rice Krispie treat recipe, but substitutes colorful Trix cereal for the Rice Krispies. They say it is a wedding cake, and it would be fun for a rehearsal dinner or bridal shower, but I think it could also work as a birthday cake, maybe if it was just one layer? You can vary the look and size of your “cake” by choosing a different cake pan, too. They suggest spraying the spatula or hands with cooking spray to make it easier to press cereal mixture in the cake pans. Love the roses made from Fruit Roll Ups!
2/3 cup butter or margarine
14 cups large marshmallows (from three 10-oz bags large marshmallows)
20 cups Trix cereal (from two 14.8-oz boxes)
2 boxes (5 oz) Fruit Roll-Ups chewy fruit snacks, if desired
1. Line 6×2-inch, 8×2-inch and 10×2-inch round cake pans with foil, leaving edges of foil hanging over sides of pans. Spray with cooking spray.
2. Place 1/3 cup butter in 4-quart microwavable glass bowl. Microwave uncovered on High about 1 minute or until melted. Add 7 cups marshmallows; toss to coat. Microwave about 2 minutes, stirring after each minute, until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended. Add 10 cups cereal; mix well.
3. Press firmly into 10-inch foil-lined cake pan. Repeat step 2 with remaining butter, marshmallows and cereal. Divide cereal mixture between 6- and 8-inch foil-lined cake pans; press firmly. Allow cake layers to cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. To assemble, remove cereal layer from each pan; remove foil. On cake plate, place 10-inch layer, top side up. Top with 8-inch layer, top side up. Top with 6-inch layer, top side up. Decorate with fruit snacks and additional cereal, if desired.
5. To serve, use a serrated knife to cut. Starting with the top layer, cut and serve the cake layer by layer.