These cute little cakes from Betty Crocker are actually made with three layered brownie rounds instead of cake. I like that the brownies make them sturdier than a cake and thus, easier to frost and decorate. They would be perfect for a child’s first birthday cake or a smash cake!
Mini Brownie Cakes
1 box brownie mix
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 containers (16 oz each) white frosting
2 to 3 drops red gel food color
Decorating Decors rainbow mix or nonpareil decors
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray or grease with shortening.
2. In medium bowl, stir together brownie mix, pouch of chocolate syrup, water, oil and egg until well blended. Spread in pan.
3. Bake 8-inch pan 38 to 40 minutes (9-inch pan 34 to 37 minutes) or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from sides of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes. With 3 1/2-inch round cutter or paper pattern, cut brownies into 6 rounds.
4. Place frosting in medium bowl. Add 2 drops of food color; stir until well blended. If necessary, add another drop for a light pink color.
5. On serving plate, place 1 brownie round, rounded side down; frost top. Top with second brownie round; frost top. Top with third brownie round. Frost side and top of cake. Sprinkle with decors. Repeat to make second mini cake. Store cakes loosely covered.