apple basket cupcakes
These little apple basket cupcakes from Bright Ideas would be great for back to school, or after a day of apple picking. How fun! They use m&m’s for the apples and Starburst for the handles on the basket. I think you could use caramels for the handles instead, if you had no Starbust candy.
Apple Basket Cupcakes
1 2/3 cups flour
⅔ cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 STARBURST® Fruit Chews
12 paper cupcake liners
1 (12-cup) cupcake pan
⅔ cup M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies
1 1/2 cups prepared vanilla frosting
Yellow food coloring
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Resealable plastic bag
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake pan with the paper cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, water, vegetable oil, white vinegar and vanilla extract. Divide batter evenly in the prepared cupcake pan.
3. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, separate the M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies into separate piles of red, yellow and green candy.
5. In a small bowl, mix the vanilla frosting, yellow food coloring and cocoa powder. Place in a resealable plastic bag and snip off a small corner. Pipe 1/2-inch zigzags around the outer edges of each cupcake, and overlap until all of the cupcakes are covered.
6. Cut the STARBURST® Fruit Chews in half, attach to the sides of each cupcake as handles, and add the separated M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies on top of each cupcake.