Colorful cookie pops! Fancy Flours made these cute Valentine cookie pops in bright colors and with a stick for easy eating. They recommend putting them in a vase with ribbons or wrapped in clear bags for a simple Valentine gift.
FOR COOKIE POPS YOU WILL NEED:
- Colored Dough Recipe (below)
- Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter
- 4mm Silver Dragees, optional
- Cookie Pop Sticks
- Parchment Paper (available at grocery)
FOR COLORED SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH YOU WILL NEED:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs. light corn syrup
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- Food coloring of choice
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COLORED DOUGH:
1. In a medium-size bowl, mix the flour and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar, stir in the egg, then the corn syrup and vanilla extract. One third at a time, add the flour mixture until thoroughly mixed.
2. Divide the dough into portions and use a toothpick to add food coloring to each one. Knead until the color is evenly distributed. For a flavor surprise, omit the vanilla extract and add 1 teaspoon of lemon extract to the yellow dough, mint extract to the green dough, and strawberry extract to the red dough.
3. Pat the dough into two disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, or until firm enough to roll. If it is too firm, soften at room temperature for 5 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roll one disk of dough between two pieces of parchment paper to 1/4 inch thick. Remove the top sheet and cut out the cookies with heart shaped cookie cutters.
5. Using a metal spatula, transfer the shapes to baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies start to brown lightly around the edges. Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
6. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to racks and cool completely before frosting and decorating. Makes 12 to 50 cookies, depending on their size.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COOKIE POPS:
1.Prepare unbaked cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets. Lift up the pointy edge of each heart shape and gently place a cookie stick underneath. Press on top of the cookie slightly to ensure the stick is in place.
2. Press a silver dragee into the corner of each cookie before baking (optional)
3. Bake cookies as directed and let cool completely before serving.
4. Display cookies in a vase or wrap with cellophane bags to give as party favors or gifts.