hidden surprise eggs
My daughter saw a picture of these yummy Rice Krispie treat eggs in a magazine and told me that I should feature them on my site. They do look really cute for Easter and would work good as decorations or Easter treats. To make them, Rice Krispie treats are molded using a plastic egg and making a little hollow in them for some extra M&M’s. Then you just press the two sides together. I thought it was fun that these “eggs” even rattle when you shake them from the candy inside!
Hidden Suprise Eggs
12 Plastic snap-apart 3 x 2-in Easter eggs
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- OR -
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
1/2 cup M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies
Canned frosting or decorating gel (optional)
1. Clean, then coat inside of plastic eggs with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
4. Using greased hands, firmly press 1/4 cup of the cereal mixture into each plastic egg half. Use fingers to make hollow center in each half. Remove from molds. Place on wax paper. Cool slightly.
5. Place about 6 M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies in one half of each egg. Gently press two halves of each egg together until they stick. Cool completely.
6. Decorate with frosting and additional M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies (if desired). Best if served the same day.
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Follow step 1 above. In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 3 through 6 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.